For the past five years Chris Lake is a name that has become synonymous in house music. As a DJ he’s travelled the globe. As a producer, he’s topped industry charts over and over again. Simply put, he’s become one of the greatest DJ/Producers in the world. He has recently spent some time with Marco Lys as they've joined forces on the brand new Nervous Records album Cross The Line. Check out what Chris Lake has to say about his new record, working with Marco Lys and some other interesting thoughts!
1. You've recently joined forces with Marco Lys in the new album Cross The Line. This collaboration is such an amazing blend of two really unique sounds! What do you think you each bring to the music that makes it so special?
Haha, thank you, you're making me cyber blush! First off, we get along great. He's a great friend, and someone that's cool to hang out with, even when not doing music. Secondly, I think musically, we're very compatable, as we like similar music. We definitely don't agree on everything (such as his choice of facial hair) but it's always fun working with Marco. I think that was the best thing about working on this album. The vibes were positive
2. For readers who are unfamiliar with your sounds, how would you describe it? How do you want your music to make your fans feel?
Well, I guess it's emotional house music, and thankfully, not always the same emotion! I like groove and funk, I like a heavy bassline, and I like using live instruments. It's definitely music straight from my soul, and I definitely hope it touches my fans souls. That would definitely be what I hope to achieve
3. You've had so much success at such a young age with number one spots in the Music Week, Buzz, Cool Cuts charts and two Billboard Dance chart airplay number 1's! What has been your biggest moment so far?
I'm not sure really, it's all great fun. Watching my single 'Changes' go from my bedroom to all around the world was amazing though. I don't think I'll ever experience anything like that ever again, as it was the first time for me, and it pretty much gave me the career I have right now. I'm very thankful
4. You're busy touring across North America this fall. How does playing in smaller venues and nightclubs in Canada differ from playing somewhere like Rio or the Miami Winter Conference?!
A party is a party, and I set out to do the same thing every time. I want to make people dance, I want to make people rock, and I don't want people to forget that night 'they saw Chris Lake play'. I feel the same playing to 200 people as I do playing to 30000.
5. One of my favourite tracks on Cross the Line is Violins! How would you describe your creative process when you’re in the studio?
Well this one was fun for sure. It was the first track I actually ever made with Marco, and it's definitely close to our hearts. I was at that time going through a phase where I was really into using orchestral sounds in tracks. Violins was one of the main outlets of this orchestral burst. I can't really say I approach a record the same way each time, but when I work with Marco, we normally start with the rhythm section, then build up the track from there. When I work solo, I could take any path. I'm a frustrating writer sometimes.
6. There's such a variety of sounds of this album. What were your inspirations?
Just tracks that made us smile in the studio. We wanted tracks that would work in the clubs of course, and I tested all the material off the album extensively, which I'm really glad we did, because we made a lot of changes to records like 'cross the line' until we got it how we wanted it. I kept coming back from a weekend of gigs, calling Marco up, and moaning that the balance of the piano was 99% there, but that might as well have been 0% there to me! We made it eventually though.
7. What do we have to look forward to from Chris Lake?!
I've done a collaboration with Nightriders called 'Love that sound' which I'm hoping to get out in the new year, and I've also remixed one of their tracks called Hey! along with Marco Lys, which i have to say, is SICK. Really makes the rump shake. I'm also doing a remix for a UK band called Pnau, and in a few weeks I'll be working some new Chris Lake singles with various singers.
1. What's your favorite club to play? I really like MOS in London. What a room!
2. Who is the craziest artist to play a show with? Deadmau5. His fans LOVE him
3. You're on the road a lot. What's your favorite time of year to be at home? June. Don't ask me why
4. Track you're most proud of? Changes
5. Favorite DJ? Danny Howells
6. Favorite Band? Air
7. Do you have any superstitions or lucky charms? would be unlucky to tell
8. What's on your rider? nothing too fancy!
Chris Lake & Marco Lys - STAY
Chris Lake & Marco Lys - VIOLINS
Chris Lake & Marco Lys - RUNNING OUT (Redroche Remix)