Today’s version of Bryant Park—with its gravel paths, green chairs, and jaunty le carrousel—is a recent invention. Though the space has been called Bryant Park since 1842, the park has had a checkered career. By 1979, it was the site of frequent muggings and drug deals and was avoided by knowledgeable New Yorkers. An almost ten-year effort, begun in 1980, transformed the park and its reputation.
The attention to detail and commitment to progressive urban planning that spurred that transfo...[more]