San Diego Air and Space Museum
San Diego has one of the richest aviation heritages of any city in the country. Convair, home of such famous aircraft as the B-24 Liberator and the PBY Catalina, was founded here. Ryan Aeronautical, home of Lindbergh's Spirit of St. Louis, was located here, and North Island Naval Air Station is the home of naval aviation. Much of that knowledge is captured and conveyed through the San Diego Air & Space Museum, a major institution unique to the region and one of the preeminent aviation museums in the nation.
Many local residents, including Preston M. "Sandy" Fleet, son of the founder of Consolidated Aircraft, and Captain Norvel R. Richardson, USN, believed the love affair with flight that began for San Diego in 1910 should be shared with the world. They took their ideas and enthusiasm to a group of prominent San Diego businessmen, including T. Claude Ryan and Joseph Jessop.
The San Diego Aerospace Museum was established on October 12, 1961, when the articles of incorporation submitted by the non-profit Citizen's Committee were approved by the State of California. When the idea was presented to then-Mayor Charles Dail, he recommended the vacant Food and Beverage Building in Balboa Park as an ideal location, and the City Council approved the recommendation.
Charles Brown was selected as the Museum's first executive director and worked untiringly to make the dream a reality. On February 15, 1963, the San Diego Aerospace Museum opened its doors for the first time. Although small in number, the items on display on that opening day were impressive. They included a reproduction of the Navy's first seaplane, the Curtiss A-1; a 1929 Fleet Model 7; the original rocket engine from the Bell X-1; and an extensive collection of artifacts relating to John J. Montgomery.
The Museum was an immediate success. In the first sixteen months of operation, almost a half million visitors entered the Museum. On March 15, 1964, the International Aerospace Hall of Fame (IAHF) was established to honor aviation and aerospace pioneers.
The Museum's collection grew at an incredible rate, and additional space was needed. By the summer of 1965, the Museum had moved to the larger Electric Building nearby. In addition to increased display area, the new Museum boasted of a library and archives. During the Electric Building period, the Museum acquired many notable aircraft, including a flying replica of Lindbergh's Spirit of St. Louis. It quickly became clear, however, that the Electrical Building would soon be too small to house the growing collection, however, and the Museum set its sights on further expansion.
Throughout the 1970s, the Museum negotiated with the city to move into the historic Ford Building, which had been put on the National Register of Historic Places in 1973. The Ford Building had an illustrious past but had fallen into disrepair. The City Council believed that the building could be returned to its past glory with some work and a new paint job. When a federal grant for $2.64 million was granted in 1977, the city approved the Museum's move. Before the move could take place, however, the Electric Building and most of its contents were destroyed by a devastating fire on February 22, 1978. More than fifty aircraft, the IAHF, and the Museum's extensive artifact and archival collections were consumed in a matter of minutes.
As the Museum continued to grow in the 1980s, an annex was opened at Gillespie F..
For driving, walking or transit directions on how to get to the address: 2001 Pan American Plaza (92101), please use the Google Map provided on right.