Fort Armistead Park is a beautiful 50 acre park at the mouth of the Patapsco River. It was built in 1896 and named for Major George Armistead who commanded Fort McHenry during the British bombardment in the famous Battle of Baltimore in the war of 1812. The fort never saw action, and was abandoned by the military in 1923. Although it saw some use as a storing ground during World War II, it was returned to the city in 1947, and turned into a public park.
The park features a long stretc...[more]