The Tower has been a San Diego landmark since 1932.
City Beat Best Dive Bar - 2011
San Diego Magazine -Best of San Diego August, 2010
City Beat Best Dive Bar 2007.. "One of the 10 best dive bars in San Diego", The San Diego Union Tribune's Sign On San Diego.
Bartender of the Month for July 2005,and October 2006
Monday nights at The Tower with Lady Dottie & The Diamonds was one of SPIN Magazine's top 101 things to do, June 2006.
The Tower Bar was the first in San Diego to re-introduce Pabst Blue Ribbon on tap, and is the home of the PABST-SMEAR (1/2 Guinness/1/2 Pabst). We also have the largest selection of genuine Absinthe in town.
The Tower Building is located at 4757 University Avenue, lot thirty four block one of the Fairmont Addition Re-subdivision. The Contractor was David H. Ryan. The architect is unknown. Originally designed as part of a theater, The Tower was built as a drive-in soda fountain in the fall of 1932. As first built, The Tower was an octagonal structure. It was glassed-in, and had swinging double doors on five sides. It contained a central kitchen and a circular counter. The second floor was a glassed-in observation deck.
The support of the Tower comes from four 16" by 16" white spruce pillars originally intended for use in an asphalt plant. These pillars were pulled into position by Mr. Ryan's Lincoln Roadster. They are anchored in place by strap iron which is sunk into ten concrete piers which for the building'..
For driving, walking or transit directions on how to get to the address: 4757 University Ave (92105), please use the Google Map provided here.
To see hotels near Tower Bar San Diego, click the "powered by Google" logo above.