Armstrong Stadium Hampton University
Poised as one of the best facilities in the Mid-Eastern Athletic Conference (MEAC), Armstrong Stadium is the home site for the Pirates football and men and women’s track teams.
Initially constructed in 1928 by William E. Lee, a graduate of Hampton’s Building and Construction program, Armstrong Stadium was completed by HU students with a seating capacity of 1,500.
The stadium was dedicated on October 6, 1928 and the inaugural game was played against Virginia Seminary with the Pirates taking their first home victory 13-0. The 1928 team compiled an 8-1 record including six shutouts while winning the Central Intercollegiate Athletic Association (CIAA) crown.
Prior to the present renovation, the stadium seating capacity saw many changes over the years. In 1948, the stadium was expanded when additional seats were added in the west (home) side of the field. The enlargement raised the stadium’s capacity to 4,400.
Under the administration of Dr. William R. Harvey, President, a number of renovations have been completed. In 1978, a new press box was completed on the west side. New bleachers were installed on the west side in 1985 and the east (visitor’s) side in 1986. Stadium lights for night games, along with a new track, were added in 1988. In 1991, a new press box on the east side was added, along with TV towers to accommodate cameras for televised games. Ready rooms underneath the west ..
For driving, walking or transit directions on how to get to the address: Hampton University (23668), please use the Google Map provided here.
To see hotels near Armstrong Stadium Hampton University Hampton Roads, click the "powered by Google" logo above.