Founded in 1935, the Australia-New Zealand Association was formed, with the purpose to meet and welcome visitors from down under, and gather together socially from time to time. ANZA continued their meet & greet, and social functions throughout the years, until the flow of visitors ceased due to travel restrictions brought on by the start of World War Two.
In 1952 the ANZA was revived but the nature of ANZA changed, and it became primarily a Social Club for Australians & New Zealanders living in the Greater Vancouver area, holding regular monthly dances/ socials at HMCS Discovery in Stanley Park. These proved so popular that they were increased to twice monthly, and ANZA introduced their Annual Picnic, and held very successful Annual Garden Parties.
With such rapid growth, it was decided by the Members that ANZA should get its own premises, where all records could be stored, work performed and activities held. In May 1961, during the reign of two-time, eight year President Graeme Robson, a Clubhouse fund was started.
After scouring the city, it was finally decided that ANZ..